Friday, June 25, 2010

Running for My Mom

Tomorrow, I will be running my second half-marathon, the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle. I will be running 13.1 miles. Intersections, roads and highways and will close down so that over 15,000 people can run - run for fun... freely.

This morning I asked my Mom, "Did you ever have to run during the Khmer Rouge?" You know what she said to me, "How?" When my Mom was in Cambodia during the Khmer Rough - the genocide that wiped out millions of civilians, professionals and intellectuals - she couldn't run. If she ran and got caught, it would be the end of her life. If she didn't, it would be the end of her family's life. Running was never an option for her.

Tomorrow, I am going to run - not just for Humanity for Children, a time or for myself - I am going to run for my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment